Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default 220 V table saws and ground

wrote:
On Dec 11, 8:44 am, dpb wrote:

less power (though less than expected using your calculations) will
make the bulb less efficient (lumens per watt), costing you money too.

There's the same fallacy assumption that Lew made as well -- _ONLY_ if
one is requiring the same or more lumens will there be a higher energy
cost to obtain them--as told Lew, for household lighting, a 100W bulb is
a 100W bulb and one gets the light one gets (at least that's what I do).
It's good enough and bulbs last.

No a 100W bulb is *not* a 100W bulb. Look at the rated output of the
bulbs at the given voltage. You generally buy a light bulb for light
(lumens) not heat (watts). If you have excess light use a smaller
bulb.

Sure it's not much for an ordinary 100W bulb so the convenience of not
having to replace them is a factor but there's no economic penalty
associated w/ gaining that (again, assuming one doesn't go from 75W _to_
100W per bulb).

You assume that a 100W 130V bulb puts out *exactly* the light needed
and that no less will do. Bad assumption.

I don't "assume" anything about "exactly" anything the light output.
It puts out what it puts out and that's adequate w/ a 130V bulb just
as it is w/ a 120V of the same wattage even though it would be somewhat
more w/ the latter. _IF_ it weren't, I'd have to either bump in size or
lights we have and our habits _we've_ not seen any necessity to do any
of the above.

OTOH, you're the one that apparently is obsessed w/ somebody not doing
as you would do and measuring lumens to the nth degree.

Under the above scenario, it's cheaper as the power dissipated will be
less for the 130V bulb at something under 130V average than it will for
the same rated 120V bulb at the same average 120V. Add onto that the
much longer lifetime and it's "win-win".

Again, if you want to do something different; fine. Just don't claim
I'm spending more in absolute $$ running 130V bulbs of the same size and
you certainly aren't in position to state I don't have adequate lighting
near my easy chair or not to meet my needs.

Finis, you can tilt at light bulbs all you want, I'm done here.