Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Large wall of drawers: How to build frame/carcass?

dpb wrote:
Kevin wrote:
With regards to side-mount slides, I've noticed that many slides can
be used with a maximum drawer width of 24". (I understand that the
wider the drawer, the more prone it is to racking). I had originally
planned to build some drawers that were about 36" wide, 24" deep, and
10" high, and the fact that they are wider than they are deep seems to
put them in the category of "lateral file drawers". There are
"lateral file drawer" slides available (strong and expensive) but
these seem to be overkill since my drawers will not be carrying 100s
of lbs of paper, and they also don't have the extreme aspect ratio
(very wide and very shallow) that a typical lateral file drawer has.
Has anyone built drawers of the size I am considering and used
standard side-mount drawer slides (such as the KV 8500 series)?

purpose much more cheaply. Then again, there's always the homemade
sliding dovetail guide that would work since it doesn't need to carry
the load at all but serve as alignment it can be fairly loose and still
control the wracking that would cause the slides themselves to bind.

This is an excellent method to overcome the limitation Kevin is
concerned about, and one I've used with extra wide drawers. Although the
drawer pictured shown below is much smaller, and the middle, shop made
dovetail runner was the only runner, the method is exactly the same:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/DrawerOvl.jpg

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08