Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay-T[_2_] Jay-T[_2_] is offline

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

Existential Angst wrote:
"Jay-T" wrote in message
I am pre-fitting some PVC fitting for a 3-inch sewer drain line
coming down from a first-floor toilet. .... What I would like to be able
to do is put the two PVC fittings
together and then be able to easily rotate both so I can get the
correct angle I need to continue the run. ....

Has anyone ever tried lubricating PVC fittings .... and then remove
the lubricant and glue the fittings together? ...

By dish soap, you mean dishwashing liquid? I would have suggested
that, surprised it doesn't work.
Dilute it out a little?

Yes, I did mean dishwashing liquid. I didn't try diluting it (yet).

Could be bum fittings as well.

I think the fittings are fine.

If worse comes to worse, pvc fittings are not that expensive, so
maybe you can just remove some material from them so they can rotate,
and sacrifice them for this particular app, and have spares on hand.
Keep them around for future fit-ups, but mark them so you don't
inadvertantly use them.

That's a good idea that I didn't think of.