Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Shop Vac Air Lift Platform

I really don't recall ever seeing the field coils of a universal motor
called out as a stator in any parts lists.
The use of the term stator that I'm used to seeing, has been associated with
induction motors or automotive alternators.

I'm fairly certain that the weird platen motor in the dictation machine was
a permanent magnet type DC. It was a portable model, probably made in the
60s.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Winston" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote:
Motors in vacs are generally universal motors, and the armature rotates
within the field coils (field assemly).
In universal motors, the field assembly isn't usually referred to as a
stator (in the USA, for as long as I can remember).

Shore it is, officially and colloquially.

Ohio, USA: http://www.globe-usa.com/micafil.htm
California, USA:
http://america.renesas.com/fmwk.jsp?...=Motor%20Types
Arizona, USA http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/e...tes/00905a.pdf

Stator is a term frequently used with induction motors.

Yup.

A weird little motor I saw years ago in an old dictation machine (voice
recorder), where the DC motor housing was used as the drive platen for
the band of recording media.
In that motor, the wound armature was stationary, and the case rotated
around it.

An external rotor 'pancake motor' as used in brushless fans, for example?
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_2/chpt_13/6.html

The part that holds the windings is still the 'stator' because it is fixed
to the assembly. The 'outside rotor' is the type you refer to, yes?

--Winston

--

Congratulations Robert Piccinini and Steven A. Burd, WalMart Publicists of
the Year!