Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Winter energy saving tip for AC ducts.

Just a hint.
In the winter, my air conditioning ducts, with the AC handler in the
uninsulated attic, let in a lot of cold air. Although there are movable
vanes inside the vents that can be shut, usually with a screwdriver,
they are not airtight. So how do I stop the air infiltration? They sell
magnetic covers for the metal vents, but what about plastic vent plates
which I have? I used to cover my plastic vent plates with pieces of
plastic wrap that I taped on. It was time consuming trying to hold the
thin floppy plastic film and tape it on at the same time. In the last
couple of years though, I use the Contact Paper type of self sticking
plastic shelf covering. Just cut it to size, peel the paper off to
reveal the adhesive, and stick the plastic to the vent plate. I use the
white kind so it hides the vent vanes, leaving the whole plate white,
but that's only a matter of aesthetics, the clear kind, or any of the
various colors and patterned types, work as well.
Don't forget the AC return vents too.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY