Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubricating PVC fittings to pre-fit

Jay-T wrote:
I am pre-fitting some PVC fitting for a 3-inch sewer drain line coming
down from a first-floor toilet. Where the drain comes through the
basement ceiling from the toilet, there are two 45-degree 3-inch
fittings -- one is the toilet flange itself which is a 45-degree fitting
and the other is a 45-degree elbow. The place where they come through
the ceiling is hard to access.

What I would like to be able to do is put the two PVC fittings together
and then be able to easily rotate both so I can get the correct angle I
need to continue the run. The problem is that when I put the two
fittings together, they are next to impossible to rotate while in
place. I need the fittings to be able to rotate one inside the other to
get the correct line-up.

Has anyone ever tried lubricating PVC fittings first just to get the
fittings lined up correctly, then marking them for the correct line-up,
and then remove the lubricant and glue the fittings together? Does
anyone know what kind of lubricant might work for this? So far, I have
just tried dish soap, but that doesn't work -- the parts just stick
together as usual and do not turn easily. Any suggestions on what to use?

We spilled some Armor All on the kitchen floor last night and
it darned near turned the place into a skating rink! I don't
know if it would work or how to get it off afterwards but the
PVC cleaner/primer always seem to fix things up fairly well.

TDD