Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default UPS batteries

D Yuniskis wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I had argued that UPS manufacturers would err in favor of
faster charge times just to reduce the user's perceived
"exposure" *after* an outage.

In the Seattle area, an outage is often followed by a restoration, than a
second outage. I've learned to wait to reboot.

You also have to make sure your PC is set to *neither*
"turn on" nor "resume previous state" when power is
restored. Nothing gets me more anxious than watching
the lights flicker, PC going off, then on, then off,
then on... just let the damn thing go *off* and *I*
can figure out when it's best to turn it back on!

:-/

I suppose it's a matter of taste, and infrastructure reliability. Hard
to know what's going on in Seattle. It sounds as if restoration is
somewhat by experiment. Where I live, a prolonged outage, if it's not
load shedding (which has so far thankfully been rare), it's an equipment
failure, and the technicians are able to fix it definitively before
restoring the power. The guys on the ground seem to know what they're
doing, for which one has to be grateful.

I don't like expecting to do something on my PC and finding that it's
been powered down (PCs in this houseold are left running all the time),
so they're configure in memory mode - they boot up after an outage if
they were running before. We just power the monitors down when they're
not in use.

Sylvia.