Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - budgets

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Huge
writes

One thing I have wondered about is the *sale* of stock not actually
owned. Not quite the same as somebody selling your house without your
knowledge but along similar lines.

W-e-e-e-e-e-lll. Naked shorting isn't allowed other than by market
makers, so it doesn't really happen. If the likes of you and I want
to short a stock, we have to buy or borrow the shares in the first
place.

OK so who *lends* the stock and is it actually theirs?

people who own it may lend it. For a slight premium.

regards