David Babcock

Default Compound Miter saw info and recommendation

I have an older model 12" Rigid, the one without the laser doohickey. I've
cut 4x4 with it, and even some at an angle, but not to severe. I can tell
you that it has worked and worked without any issues with me. Built a garage
addition, three decks, and any number of home projects.
Just make sure you get the 12" and not a 10" saw.

Dave

"Mike O." wrote in message
om...
I'm going to be purchasing a compound miter saw in the next several
weeks, and I'm looking for some information (this is just for use for
projects around the house, I'm not a contractor or anything).

We recently moved into a 35 year old house, so we're looking done some
basic remodling. Things like replacing baseboard, partially finishing
basement, etc. Also, I'll probably be building a deck and/or wooden
play set next spring. I did some of that stuff at our previous house,
but I'm tired of using a hand held circular saw or handsaw/miter box.

Most of the things I'd be using it for would be 2x6 or smaller, but
there's been enough times I've worked on something larger (2x8 or
4x4), that I'm looking at the 12" models. I'm not really interested
in a sliding model.

Based on my expected usage, features, price, etc. I'm looking at
either the Ryobi TS1551DXL or Rigid MS1250LZ from Home Depot.

The first question I have whether both units will cut 4x4's? The
Ryobi specs say it can, but from Rigid's site, it lists the capacity
as 2x8. I would think pretty much any 12" miter saw would be able to
handle it. The 10" Rigid model lists as working with 4x4's, but only
on a 90 degree cut. There have been times I've needed an angled cut
in a 4x4, and if I'm going to spend the money for a saw, I figure I
might as well go for something that can handle anything I'm likely to
need.

Does anyone have experience with either unit?

Even though it costs more, I'm leaning toward the Rigid one based on
the solid appearance of the unit, and it includes a floor stand.
Also, they're offering a lifetime warranty if purchased by Dec 31.

I have seen some negative comments on Ryobi quality, but I've had a
Ryobi 10" drill press and have been happy with it.

Any information would be appreciated.

Mike O.