Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default sagulator for glass?

tom wrote:
On Dec 10, 9:56 am, "Joe" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

Joe wrote:
Ok, I know that glass doesn't sag (perceptibly), but does anyone
have a source for a load/span calculator for glass?

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Choose glass from the materials list.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Geez, Swing. I even *went* there! I just scrolled down the the
G's, didn't see it and stopped.

Not feeling particularly smart at the moment.

jc

Go all the way to the bottom of the list. Tom

Here's a South African glass industry standard
http://www.aaamsa.co.za/images/Techn...re%2 0New.pdf
or http://tinyurl.com/yzpmlpz. Note that it is metric.

Just for hohos I ran a 1x1 meter by 4mm piece of glass through the sagulator
with the standard's maximum recommended 17kg/square meter load and it came
up with .068 in/ft sag, so if you go by the .02 recommendation that the
sagulator uses you may be safe, but I'd check both the sagulator and the
standard to make sure that it will both hold the load and not sag--glass
doesn't usually warn you before it lets go.