Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Large wall of drawers: How to build frame/carcass? - Now withTIPS!

SonomaProducts.com wrote:
One more tip (maybe obvious).

Build the drawer boxes as a box and apply the drawer faces after the
fact. Install all the drawer boxes in the case and get the slides
adjusted and working well BEFORE adding the drawer fronts. Then add
the drawer fronts to the boxes so it is easy to get them all nice and
square and evenly spaced. I use double sided tape and then screws from
inside.

Good one ... and here's a couple mo

~ When you make your spacers for attaching the slides to the sides of
the cabinet, "batch cut" them so they're uniform width and length, AND,
most importantly, take pains in cutting the ends of the spacers as
perfectly "square" as possible (I cut mine on a TS sled. That way, when
you butt them up to the face frame during installation, they will
already be square to the face frame, and much easier to hold in place
with one hand while you use the brad nailer with the other.

~ Also, a shop/site made jig like this comes in handy for attaching the
slides to the spacers before you even get near the cabinets:

http://picasaweb.google.com/karlcail...rawerSlideJig#

This is something that you rarely see a trim carpenter without on a job
site in this neck of the woods. Down through the years I have these
things made for every possible thickness of spacer, and every type of
drawer slide imaginable, and usually have some small spacer material of
different thickness to "tune" the jig up if need be on site (you can see
those "tuneup spacers" in the photos) if you zoom in. I generally have
drawer slide "shucking party" before I ever leave the shop, and mount
all the drawer slides on their spacers, paired up and ready to install
when I get to the job site.

~ Also, drill and countersink the screw holes in the spacers before you
try to install the slide pairs ... that way they won't move around when
you sink the screws in that tight space ... and watch those screw
lengths, so you don't screw through the finished side of a cabinet!
DAMHIKT, once again!

Actually, I carry my cabinet "makeup kit" around with me in the truck so
that I can powder the noses of those types of screwups and hide the
pimples... it ain't like I don't do it often enough.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08