Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Large wall of drawers: How to build frame/carcass?

What he said.

Nice answer.

On Dec 9, 6:23*pm, Swingman wrote:
Kevin wrote:
Great advice all, and I now realize my use of the word "attic" was
misleading. *It's actually a third-floor living space, complete with
full bath, bedroom, etc. so I think the floor will be strong enough.

Good to know that plywood boxes will serve as adequate frames for the
drawers. *One question: I like the idea of face frames on the boxes
with an overlay drawer front, but won't a face frame prohibit me from
mounting the drawers slides directly to the sides of the plywood
boxes? *Will I need to attach the slides to boards that are screwed/
glued to the insides of the boxes so that the slides will clear the
face frame?

You should have a choice with most modern drawers.

You can attach them to the FF at the front, and with a special bracket
on the back wall of the cabinet.

Or,

You can attach the slide to a "spacer" that brings the slide flush with
the FF, and then attach the slide and the spacer to the cabinet side.

I prefer the latter because it produces a quieter end result, and is
much easier to install, level etc.

Tip: design your FF width so that when they are applied to the front of
the casework sides, *the distance between the inside edge of the FF, and
the inside face of the cabinet side, is a distance that is equal in
thickness to readily available "spacer" material, ie, 3/4" or 1/2" plywood.

I would NOT glue drawer slide spacers to the sides of the cabinets. I
like to first install them with brads, insert the drawers, make any
adjustment necessary, then, and only then, screw them to the sides with
screws when all the drawers are properly fit.

By first securing them with brads, you can easily tap the top or bottom
of the spacers with a hammer, to make any adjustments necessary before
you permanently screw them in.

Be careful that you don't use a brad long enough to go through exposed
cabinet sides ... I've installed literally hundreds of cabinets and
still do this on occasion!! *

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)