Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Want Advice: Protecting MDF From Water Contact

On Dec 10, 11:48*am, "Leon" wrote:
"Robatoy" wrote in message

On Dec 10, 6:56 am, Phisherman wrote:

Maybe a polyurethane varnish, floor paint or apply Formica over the
MDF. If unprotected wood gets wet, it will swell.

A sheet of Formica (HPL from anybody) is, IMO, one of the better
solutions. Most adhesives won't stick to it (depending on the choice
of laminate finish ie, the satin-like finish works best), easy to
clean, and cheap. Many laminate distributors have discontinued colours
that they will sell for cheap. I bought 50 4 x 8 sheets for $8.00 per
sheet, which I use as backers for custom laminate countertops. MANY of
the mish-mash of colours had a good reason to be discontinued, there's
some fugly colours in that pile.
A simple painter's razor blade scrapes justabout anything right off.
We use it for glue-ups all the time.
For some reason Titebond III really sticks to it..... mmmmm

I use a cabinet scraper to remove TBIII from plastic laminate.

TBIII will come off alright, just seems a bit more difficult.
TBIII pops right off gloss laminate though.