Posted to sci.electronics.repair
William R. Walsh[_2_] William R. Walsh[_2_] is offline

Default Old X10 Modules Failing?

Hi!

I am flattered... but no, I don't know any of that.... *I had
heard somewhere about the surge protector thing.

You should definitely consider all of it. If you could arrange a test
to see if the problem is distance or signal strength related, it would
tell you a lot.

(An outlet strip can be used temporarily to do this, as can multiple
outlets on the same circuit. At least that's how I've done it.)

Would PC power supplies be "switchmode"?

Yes, they are. The power demands practically require it--otherwise
their power supplies would be heavy, hot running and inefficient.

Did you find an alternative? * When I was trying to get mControl
working on my server, I dabbled briefly with Insteon units.

No, it really wasn't that high of a priority. The X-10 stuff wasn't
really doing anything that I couldn't live without or do in some other
way. And I could have installed a filter at the service panel to block
the interference out totally.

I really do wonder if it was all caused by someone with nothing better
to do than to goof around with stuff that wasn't theirs. Last year I
operated the holiday decorations in the yard with a lamp module and
X-10 timer clock. It ran this stuff for over a month and never missed
a beat.

William