Posted to alt.home.repair
IGot2P[_2_] IGot2P[_2_] is offline

Default How to have a lamp turn on when inside temp drops below sixty.

Jim Sherman wrote:
I'm a snowbird and worry about a furnace failure while I'm away. I've heard
that there is a temperature sensing switch that will turn on a lamp if the
house gets too cold. I'd like to set a lamp in the front window so my
neighbor can check the place as he drives by without coming inside. Does
such a switch exist? Who sells it? Thanks in advance.

Why involve the neighbors at all? Just get yourself a weather station, a
domain name, and a cheap hosting company and then let the weather
station upload to the Internet every couple of minutes. The weather
station is probably about $150 and the domain and hosting is only $35
per year. This way you can not only tell if your furnace stopped working
you can also tell if it stuck on for some unknown reason. Plus you can
find out how miserable it is back home.

Feel free to check mine out at http://www.crsales.com/weather.htm .

Don