Posted to alt.home.repair
dgk dgk is offline

Default Must I gut the bathroom?

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 11:47:09 -0600, LdB wrote:

Maybe first I look into the shower body. That's hiding behind cement
that should be fun to bust up. I'd like to get the tub out, a new one
in, and get the shower part working. I can line the walls with plastic
for the moment. But I don't want to damage the new tub doing the rest
of the stuff.

What's the problem with a window by a shower? I had one in my old
apartment and it was not an issue.

Maybe I should get in a plumber for a consult.

Anything is possible. It's only up to you to decide what you are
willing to do. Before I retired I worked in the telecommunications
industry, no construction experience at all. I built the house I'm
living in. I hired contractors for the foundation, heating/AC and
drywall taping. The rest I did with help from friends and family.

I should say doing the rest . I'm in the process of building my
kitchen cupboards . Here's a few images of the house and a set of
cupboards I built in the utility room for practice.

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cabinfront6.jpg

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cabinfront7.jpg

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards1.jpg

http://www.mts.net/~lmlod/cupboards2.jpg

If your worried about the neighbors, start with a smaller hammer. The
radiator can be moved and changed. Maybe underfloor? I know very
little about your type of heating system.

Window in shower? I wouldn't do it, but many others have. As long as
you can keep the water from getting into the walls it will work.
Potential for major problems if you don't get it right.

That's the best part of DIY. You have as many chances to get it right
as you want. There are no such things as mistakes, just learning
experiences. I've had a few of them over the years.

You should post a few pictures of the bathroom. I would give others a
better idea of what your doing. At this point I and others can't do
much more than to wish you luck.

LdB

Pictures are he

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27610982@N03/?saved=1

Yes, I expect I will have many learning experiences with this - the SO
will consider them something else.

Those cabinets look fine. I'll deal with the kitchen after the
bathroom is finished. I'd hate to drop a tub on new cabinets.

I wonder what they use to separate attached houses? Cinderblock I
think. I'll start by digging into the cement you can see behind the
tiles in the first picture. There must be studs back there somewhere.