Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NY2LA NY2LA is offline

Default Static When Capturing VHS Tapes

On Dec 9, 4:31*am, b wrote:
I have found that older machines *can* be more forgiving of poorly
recorded tapes, or tapes recorded on less-than-perfect tape path
alignment, which could be the case here. This means that you might be
able to use the tracking control to get a clear reproduction.

As they are available second hand for little money these days - or
free, ask on your local freecycle group - it may be worth a try. Be
sure to get a model with hifi stereo audio capability. look at local
thrift stores.

Incidentally, did the tapes play back ok when you first recorded them?
if the machine you used back then had slightly worn or dirty heads,
audio is usually the first sign of a problem (the higher frequencies
are recorded near the surface of the tape and don't penetrate much, so
any wear causes crackling and dropouts way before the picture
deteriorates).
-B

As far as I recall, the tapes sounded fine the first time I played
them. However, some have never been played until now.

I'll post again after I do still more tests.

The suggestion to buy an old machine is a great idea. I am concerned
about ending up with a machine that actually damages the tapes, rather
than helps, though. How do I avoid that? Can you recommend a dealer
who takes care of old VCR's and sells them? Thanks.