Posted to alt.home.repair
jeff_wisnia jeff_wisnia is offline

Default How to have a lamp turn on when inside temp drops below sixty.

Jim Sherman wrote:
I'm a snowbird and worry about a furnace failure while I'm away. I've heard
that there is a temperature sensing switch that will turn on a lamp if the
house gets too cold. I'd like to set a lamp in the front window so my
neighbor can check the place as he drives by without coming inside. Does
such a switch exist? Who sells it? Thanks in advance.

Just buy a 120 volt thermostat like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Lux-LV2-Voltag.../dp/B0002QWXGQ

and wire it in series with the lamp.

Course if the cause of no heat is a power failure, then you're not in
very good shape, are you.

For a little more money you can buy low temperature alarms which will
dial a phone number, maybe your heating contractor, and deliver a message.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia