Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RogerN RogerN is offline

Default PLC?

"RogerN" wrote in message

. 3.70...

snip

Roger, a decent PID algorithm accommodates changes in conditions, and
"learns" the lead/lag characteristics of the system. Most of the even
most-basic PID controllers (ready made) have that capability.

LLoyd

It's been a while since I messed with my Basic Stamp but IIRC they used 8
bit integer math. My Basic Stamp 1 had only about 16 bytes ram, I'm not
sure that would do a PID control, maybe. I think the BS2 has about twice
that amount of ram. I'm not to great at working with integer math,
especially 8 bit.

RogerN

I looked at some of the instructions on the Parallax website and it
refreshed my memory. You can address memory as bits, bytes, or words, so 16
bit math should be OK, but on limited words. The specs for the BS2 say 32
bytes ram, 6 for I/O & 26 for variables, I guess you can have up to 13 word
variables.

RogerN