Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default wooden I beams?

On Dec 9, 7:53*am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:
On 12/08/2009 02:23 PM, RicodJour wrote:

On Dec 8, 2:04 pm, cj wrote:
what are those wooden beams that look sort of like an I beam
called?...the ones made up partially of OSB?
thanks, cj

A lot of people call them by a brand name - Trusjoist, also truss
joist, or I-joist.

And if you have a flood the OSB turns to sawdust and the house collapses.

I think if the "flood" is significant (like standing water) you might
have bigger problems than floor joists getting wet.

Despite "popular wisdom" OSB (even though its not my favorite
material) is pretty decent stuff. I posted while back about some
work I did for a crusty old SE (he HATED OSB) would wanted to prove
"that stuff is crap".

I built some cripple walls out of it, some sample I watered a couple
times a day for a few weeks.....tested them against "un-watered"
ones. No strength difference.

SO .......... OSB bashers (me included) it is a lot better material
than one might think.

cheers
Bob