Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default PLC?

On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:21:09 -0600, cavelamb wrote:

Tim Wescott wrote:
On Wed, 09 Dec 2009 10:11:34 -0600, Don Foreman wrote:

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 06:13:30 -0600, "Karl Townsend"
wrote:

Too much bloatware in the world today.

What we need are more Assembly Programmers!
Are you volunteering to assist?
Well, maybe...

If I got a "development system" for christmas?

I talked this project over with my crop consultant today. He said I
should apply for a research grant and thinks I'd probably win. In
that case, this device needs better EE than I can do. A ways down the
road, but would you like to help design phase two?

Karl

Sure! I have development systems and C compilers for PIC and Atmel
AVR. Cavelamb is probably more competent, so include us both!

So long as you each buy a copy of my book.

I was afraid you were going to over complicate things, but your articles
are pretty clear and readable.

You want things just complicated enough -- in my life I've unwound
innumerable vast snarls of kluges that were wound around core functions
that were just too simple. When you can double the complexity of the
core, make it work _right_, and as a consequence take out five times as
many lines of code and/or circuitry from the periphery, then you
understand that there is such a thing as _too_ simple.

This is why I'm kind a torn in Karl's case -- he may well be able to get
it working with a simple state machine implemented with hysteresis and
timing. Unfortunately, the only way to know for sure is to try it out.
But fortunately, if he starts with a processor that can absorb the
necessary algorithms then he can also start out simple and see how it
goes without being married to a too-simple core algorithm from the outset.

--
www.wescottdesign.com