Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiators in series - good or bad?

In article ,
" writes:
I'm pricing up radiators right now - and there is a very good deal on
" radiator packs" in the Stelrad Softline range.

Bascially you choose whatever you want up to a "total btu" figure

Downside is maximum length of any rad (in this deal) is 1200mm, and in
some locations I need something a good bit bigger.

So - how practical is it to run two rads in series - i.e. straight
horizontal copper pipe out of the first and into the second, with trv
and lockshield at the respective further ends?

I figure it would only cost me two threaded male compression fittings
(and bit of pipe) to jump between the two rads- and have the two
function as one.

Any pitfalls here?

If you link at top and bottom, then it's in effect exactly one
radiator. I've seen that done to make a radiator folded around
a bay window.

However, it's generally better to have multiple separated heat
sources in rooms which require a higher heat input to give more
even heating, so why not take advantage of the extra radiators
by separating them?

--
Andrew Gabriel