Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreight MultiTool

RicodJour wrote:
On Dec 8, 7:24 pm, wrote:

What better pads? Do you know a part number and source for better
pads? The replacement pad for a Fein is around $60 plus shipping, and
could not be adapted to the HF tool. I know because I own both tools
and know the differences. A whole new HF tool with a new pad is a lot
less than $60 plus shipping for a part that won't work.

I do not own a HF...anything, but the HF blades fit a Fein
Multimaster, right? Why would a blade fit and a sanding pad not fit?

The replacement pads I've bought for the Fein were much cheaper - ~$21
delivered for a two-fer.
http://www.amazon.com/Fein-638061290.../dp/B0000223OR
Fein has singletons which range up to a bit north of $30 delivered.
Which one are you buying that costs $60 plus shipping?

That's why I think you are being absurd you are raising all sorts of
ideas that are non-starters as an alternative to something that will
most certainly work.

I even gave the alternative of buying a disposable palm sander for
$12 that would finish his project quite handily.

He already has a disposable tool.

Do you have any concrete help, or just aimless conjecture and
doomsaying?

Sorry. I don't think the Pope is infallible, and, well, you're not
the Pope.

You need to lighten up. Like I said, I don't own the tool, but there
are people that do. This forum is one way to address these questions
and people running into this same problem will search for an answer.
Saying a blanket "it can't be done" doesn't clarify it for me, and I
doubt it will clarify it for others. That's why I am asking the
questions.

HeyBub was making fookin multitool blades from saw blades as I
recall. There are a lot of people that are fairly handy - HeyBub,
this doesn't mean you ~ - and I'm sure that there is probably some
way to make another manufacturer's better quality pad fit. Maybe not
a Fein, but there are at least five or six competing tools out there
now. If you don't think modifying a better pad to fit makes sense,
that's an opinion until you provide specifics. If it would take a
ridiculous amount of effort to make the modification, then it becomes
an exercise in futility.

My original point was that it doesn't make sense to put a band-aid on
an inferior part when for the same amount of money and effort you can
probably modify a better part.

I'll go for the last. In the instant case, modification should be trivial.
For those not familiar, the sanding pad for a HF tool is constructed thusly:

* A 2.5", triangular, metal base with a hole for a bolt in the center.
* This metal pad is covered with a 3/8" thick, stiff, sponge-rubber base,
also with a hole in the center.
* The sponge-rubber base is covered on the business side with teeny Velcro
hooks.

The operator mounts the contraption on the tool with a hex-bolt and snugs
the bolt REALLY tight. Then he slaps a Velcro-loop backed bit of sandpaper
on the result.

The ONLY way a competing pad could be incompatible with the HF pad is if the
bolt hole in the metal plate was too small. This can be easily remedied with
a drill.