Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default BBC jakes GW demo?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Roger Chapman wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Phils question was delightfully simple, I'll re post it so you
can't ignore it;
"If it was first noticed 100 years ago, it's fairly safe to say
that it had been occuring for centuries before that, so how is it
mankind's fault, when the world population 300 - 400 years ago was
a tiny fraction of what it is now, and virtually none of them used
fossil fuels?" Got any answers ****wit?

snip

The wiki page got boring after 2 minutes, but I didn't see any
explanation as to when this 'trend' began, or any possible causes

That is the problem with science. Far too boring to be interesting to
all too many people.

But the greenhouse effect has always been with us (at least as long as
there have been greenhouse gases in the atmosphere). Fourier, Tyndall
and Arrhenius all played their part in developing the theory.

I'm not denying that climate change is occuring, I'm just saying
that it's highly unlikely to have anything whatsoever to do with
mankind. The earth regularly warms and cools over millions of years, or
occasionally, very rapidly. This has occured hundreds, if not
thousands of times according to scientists, and yet mankind has only
been around for one, maybe two of these cycles.

The is quite a long list of things that contribute to the variability
of climate. One of these is the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere.
This is now about 50% above the pre industrial level. You might not
think that the huge amount of CO2 resulting from human activity in
the recent past has anything to do with this rise or with climate
change but the great majority of the scientists who investigate such
matters do.

You still haven't answered Phil's question. You've talked a lot of bollox
and thrown a lot of insults around and generally behaved like a patronising
****, but you still haven't answered the question.

If climate chamge is man made, explain the Thames freezing over in 1607 and
1813,

Largely BEFORE the CO2 had been released by industrialisation but quite
a nice period after it, and a couple of major eruptions, had pumped teh
air full of dust.

the freak heat wave in 1858 when temperatures hit over 100f,

WE get summers like that these days every 5 years or so. 100F is
nothing. 100F was originally chosen as 'the hottest day in summer' as 0F
was chosen as 'the coldest day in winter'

Its only about 37 celsius. I saw 38 a couple of years back.

the
lowest temperature ever recorded in the UK in 1895, Britains worst ever
storm in 1703, or the great famine of the early 14th century caused by a
mini ice age.

14th century again correspinds to a gelogical event IIRC.

1895 was not that cold 1962 was IIRC colder,

Thse peaks and trougfhs are really irrelevant though: what counts is the
AVERAGE temeperature, and thats been going up ever since I can remember.
Very few frosts in winter, very little snow.

And teh industrial **** doesn't START till late 17th century, and didn't
really get going till the 19th

Don't point to yet another Wikipedia page, answer the question.

What question?