Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] Geoffrey S. Mendelson[_2_] is offline

Default pc issue.. should I be worried?

kronflux wrote:

unfortunately buying a new PC is out of the question at the moment,
financially. which is why I use an old junker for a media PC.
there aren't really any special devices hooked up to it. it's got a
video card, network card, and a USB infrared remote receiver. the
video card gets an s-video out, which is adapted to a composite, and
that hooks up to my tv. the audio is onboard, which also hooks up to
my tv.

As for the shocks, dump the surge supressor. I'll bet you have one and
it leaks.

For the PC, if you are unable to buy a new multimedia computer, a situation
I am also in, look around on the various local mailing lists for a used
computer. If you are lucky, you'll find a faster one that does the job
for you for free, if you are not, you still should be able to get a
good replacement if you are persistant and patient.

P.S. if you spend the time to learn how to repair power supply fans, you
should be able to get more 2-3 year old computers than you can ever use.

Geoff.