Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default PLC?

Karl Townsend wrote:
Too much bloatware in the world today.

What we need are more Assembly Programmers!
Are you volunteering to assist?

Well, maybe...

If I got a "development system" for christmas?

I talked this project over with my crop consultant today. He said I should
apply for a research grant and thinks I'd probably win. In that case, this
device needs better EE than I can do. A ways down the road, but would you
like to help design phase two?

Karl

Sure Karl,

You get some grant money for research and development, I'm your geek.

It would be fun. I haven't done a control project in ages.

I have a little CMOS Z80 controller board worked up that should run on
about 25 milliamps (not counting off board I/O interfaces, of course).

Personally, I'd go that way and just write in Z80 Assembly, or Tiny C, or
as fast as this thing would run maybe even BASIC. Once it's up and running,
anybody could then tinker with the software quite easily.

It would be a little overkill, but if I'm writing code, I'd prefer to do
it on something I already know.

Fewer surprises.

And, like Roger pointed out, the little controllers are, well, little(!)

Richard