Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Speaking of broken spark plugs...

My point is that many cars that you would EXPECT to have issues, do
not. I also had the fiber timing gear on my 1969 Pontiac Firebird 400
HO convertible fail under hard acceleration. It quietly coasted to a
stop. No damage other than the gear. That was a a high compression,
high performance engine from prehistoric times that seems to also defy
your generalization.

Depends entirely on what you're using to create the expectations
from...compression and a specific definition of "high performance" that
epitomized the muscle-car era aren't the appropriate ones. Those were
not "interference" engine designs; in fact virtually all were very
conventional old pushrod designs w/ simply beefed up compression and
high cfm carb's that sucked gasoline at a prodigious rate to generate
those hp. (Since had '69 Charger, know the symptoms well... )