Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren[_2_] Oren[_2_] is offline

Default Speaking of broken spark plugs...

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 17:26:19 -0500, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Oren wrote:

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 16:46:30 -0500, George
wrote:

-snip-

How would slipped timing cause the piston to hit anything? Never heard
of such a thing.

Just consider basic mechanical engine timing. If the engine is an
interference design (common on many higher performance and import
vehicles) the pistons can definitely collide with the valves if basic
mechanical timing is lost (eg, timing belt stretches and jumps a tooth).

Them dang ferrin cars. I didn't think about them. Thanks. Learned
something new.

If by 'ferrin' you mean GM or Ford- then OK. Both have engines that
can cause pistons and valves to collide if the timing belt slips.

Jim

I knew I was in trouble the FIRST time I needed a metric wrench on a
Ford. Those were the days :-/