Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bottom of garage door question

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 08:48:39 -0800 (PST), Mike
wrote:

On Dec 8, 11:34Â*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

Â*Mike wrote:
Hi all. Â*My garage door is old (maybe 30 years) and probably needs to
be replaced - but not right now. Â*In the short term, I'm seeking a
little advice from the good folks here. Â*When the door is closed, the
middle of the door makes good contact with the floor, but I can see
daylight on both ends. Â*I bought another rubber strip for the bottom
of the door, cut it into pieces and nailed a few pieces to both ends,
but that didn't really have the desired effect - I can still see
daylight under the ends when the door is closed. Â*Here is what I'm
pondering - what if I remove the rubber Â* Â* Â*strip(s) currently on the
door, get some paint stirrers and staple them to the bottom of the
door (3 stacked on the very end, then 2 next to the 3, then 1) to fill
in the space. Â*Then re-attach the rubber strip. Â*The idea being to
fill the gaps with the paint stirrers. Â*A friend suggested maybe just
nailing the paint stirrers to the inside (back) of the door at the
bottom rather than attaching them to the bottom to block the opening,
so that is also a possibility.

Any of you folks had to deal with such a situation? Â*How did you fix
it (short of replacing the door)?

Mike

Assuming the garage floor is flat there, and the door is bowed, I'd set
the door at a convenient height, clamp on a straight edge, and true up
the bottom of the door with a saw.

If the floor is flat, lay a 2X3 on the floor and scribe a line that
follows the line of door bottom, then cut the lumber to follow the
curve, Glue and screw it to the bottom of the door, and the rubber
seal to it.

I'd also not post from google. That way I'd see your OP and any
follow-ups. As it is, I won't.- Hide quoted text -

I do think the floor is flat. I'd probably make matters worse if I
tried to shave some off the bottom, but I hadn't considered that
angle. Will give it some thought. I have father-in-law coming in
town in a couple weeks and he could help me do that. Thanks for the
suggestion!

Mike

P.S. I always (and only) use google for posting/reading usenet. I
like it. I can post from anywhere w/o needing a news reader. I used
Outlook Express years ago, but find this easier. You must've seen the
OP else you couldn't have replied, right?