Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 3:17*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:32:01 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right -
anything can wear out. *As in most tools, the consumables and
replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of
ownership. *Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas,
this being one of them. *Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads
won't come near the life of a store bought pad. *As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF
pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased
stress from replacing the hook and loop.

Now you are just being absurd, Rico.

?

I'd rather spend ten minutes adapting a better quality pad and do it
once, then spending ten minutes a couple or three times on an
accelerated schedule in hopes of keeping an inferior pad going. You
do realize that he's talking about cutting off the old H&L and gluing
on new stuff, right? What are the odds that the new surface will be
anywhere as near to flat as an unadulterated pad?

Pretend that the hook and loop replacement sticks well to the HF pad,
it will pull the foam pad apart when it's time to replace it. Then
he's right back in the same spot. If it doesn't stick well, then it's
just wasted time.

There's no advantage in spending time and money trying to keep a bad
item going. Just bite the bullet and spend the $20 to get two better
pads. What's absurd about that? I'm not being a wise ass, I really
don't understand what you think is absurd.