Posted to sci.electronics.repair
b b is offline

Default Static When Capturing VHS Tapes

On 8 dic, 05:20, NY2LA wrote:
I am encountering static on pre-recorded VHS tapes that I am capturing
into Final Cut Express. *The recorded audio usually sounds great. *The
static is on top of it. *Here are details:

I think you need to start right at the beginning of the chain, ruling
out things by empirical 'investigation'!

try:
-connecting both vcrs one at a time to a TV's Av input, play back the
same tape (s) and listen for any crackling. On more than one tv if
poss. See if both VCRs show the problem. if so, could be the tapes;
adjust tracking.
-Maybe try tapes in a friend's vcr as some (especially older ones)
have more 'range' than others. Try getting one from a thrift store for
a few $ to try!

-if the tapes play Ok thru the tv, we can probably rule out the tapes
and vcr. check the cable(s) you use to connect the vcrs to the tv and
to the PC, change it. re-route it.

-connect another device like a dvd player and try and capture that,
see if you still get the problem. if so, you may have electrical noise
from a switchmode power supply or light interfering.

-OS Audio settings. I had some interference capturing when the windows
vol control was not muted on some inputs. check both rec and pb menus.

HTH let us know how it goes!
-B