Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Dewhurst Roger Dewhurst is offline

Default Mains Water Pressure. What is "typical"?

Vortex5 wrote:

wrote in message
Just another thought:
Turning the supply valve or tap down isn't really a solution if the
pressure is as high as you suggest.
Clamping down a valve may reduce the flow but it won't change the
pressure. When the flow stabilises, the pressure will be the same.
It's a bit like volts and amps. "Volts is pressure, Amps is flow"

Please no flames...... the OT has a pressure (volts) problem not a
flow (amps) problem so squeezing the flow won't help.

I remain curious about the pressure/head being reported in the
original post. I suspect that most providers in UK don't supply water
much above 3, 4 or 5 bar.

EP

What really confuses me is that there are plenty of houses around me on
higher land, none are more than about 20 metres ( - 2 bars) higher.

I could understand if pressure was (say) 5 bar, but cannot understand
why I see 10. hence the original post.

As I said previously first stop is to double-check the instrument. I'm
wondering if I can bodge up a connection to do this pneumatically at the
local garage.

Get some hose. Fit a tyre valve at one end and connect the other to the
tap. Make sure that the hose is vertical and full of air. Turn on the
tap and measure the pressure with tyre pressure gauge.