Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Fein MultiMaster sanding pad attachment on HarborFreightMultiTool

On Dec 8, 1:46*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:36:56 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

wrote:
On Dec 8, 1:02*pm, wrote:
On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 09:45:34 -0800 (PST), RicodJour

wrote:
On Dec 8, 11:59*am, Tony Sivori wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

The Dremel pad will probably fit (the blades sure do).
http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-MM11-Mu...p/B001IZPEAM/r...

You might be able to find the Dremel pad at either Loews or Home Depot.

I just got back from Lowe's. They sell the Dremel, but they didn't have
replacement sanding pads.

In the alternative, try gluing some Velcro to your worn-out pad. Even
better, slather some rubber cement to both the pad and the sandpaper.
Let it dry and slap 'em together.

I got some 2" wide velcro tape. 3" would have been perfect, but they
didn't have it that wide. The four foot long roll was $10. If it works
there is enough to recondition the sanding pad about 14 times.

It will be this weekend before I have time to get back to the door and
window frames. For the benefit of those who have the tool, I post how well
the tape worked, if it works.

Keep track of your expenditures and time involved. *Let us know when
you hit the "I could have bought a better unit for what I've invested
in this thing" point.

The HF multi-tool sells for $39. The Fein version costs roughly 10
times that. He could simply buy a whole new HF unit every time the pad
wears out and still spend far less than "buying a better unit". The
Fein would no doubt also need a new pad periodically.

I didn't mean to imply that it had to be a Fein - there are cheaper
alternatives. *I was commenting on the "buy a cheap tool and find a
new maintenance hobby" method.

I understand the sentiment, but I don't think it really applies in
this case. The tool isn't broken. A piece of velcro wore out from
extensive use. Same thing could happen on the Fein, except replacing
it on the Fein would be a lot more expensive.

Once again, I didn't mention Fein, but yes, of course you're right -
anything can wear out. As in most tools, the consumables and
replacement parts are what comprise the bulk of the true cost of
ownership. Harbor Freight tools are noticeably lacking in some areas,
this being one of them. Jury rigged repairs to oscillating tool pads
won't come near the life of a store bought pad. As the HF sanding pad
has already worn out, and proven itself to be a weak spot, I'd look at
modifying a better quality pad and getting increased longevity. The HF
pad foam rubber backing will not last very long with the increased
stress from replacing the hook and loop.