Hugo Nebula

Default Building Regulations Certificate ?

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:26:21 +0200, a particular chimpanzee named
"tim" randomly hit the keyboard
and produced:

I don't believe that they have a choice. If I wish to start work
on a (planning permitted) change to my property *I* can choose
whether I submit the plans to the BCO before I start work
or request a BN after I have started. All the BCO can do is
refuse to issue me a certificate if the work is sub-standard they
cannot dictate when I do it.

Not true. To commence Building Work without a valid Building
Regulations application (either Full Plans, or a Building Notice where
allowed) is an offence under Section 16 of the Building Act 1984, and
action can be taken under Section 35 (to levy a fine) or Section 36
(to pull down or otherwise alter the offending work).

The Building Regulations were changed in (IIRC) 1994 to allow the
issuing of Regularisation Certificates for work which had been
constructed illegally (the wording of this regulation makes it clear
that it is "unauthorised") [1]. In theory, there's nothing to stop an
Authority accepting a Regularisation application, but still taking
prosecution under the Building Act.

[1] There was (I'm sure) unkind and unfounded speculation within our
office at the time as to whether John Selwyn Gummer (the minister who
was in charge at the time) had an illegal extension on his house.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,