Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Must I gut the bathroom?

On Dec 8, 10:05�am, dgk wrote:
On Wed, 02 Dec 2009 11:15:17 -0600, LdB wrote:
You take �one step at a time and live with the mess. �All you really
need is a working is the toilet. �You don't even need water at the
toilet, it can be filled with a pail or temporary hose. �You can take
a bath without plaster on the walls. Remove everything else all at
once or only as you need to. �I �helped my son renovate his bathroom
two years ago. It was completely gutted and replaced. �Every fixture
moved at least 6'. �He was only without a working toilet �for the time
it took to remove the old cast iron drains and replace with new PVC.

The biggest problem is likely to be your �significant other.

Ldb

No, I need a shower. We can use the downstairs toilet if need be.

I'll continue the thread here since it seems to have fragmented a bit.

I'm looking at the bathroom thinking about what needs to be done and
what I can do. I'm sort of afraid to swing a sledge hammer at a wall
and end up in the bedroom - that might be ok but being an attached
house I'd rather not end up in the neighbor's bathroom (wet wall
side).

I didn't realize I could remove the cast iron drain for the toilet and
use PVC - that does mean that moving the toilet is more possible than
I thought. I'm not sure it needs to be moved though - we need to plan
that out.

The tub is the starting point though. I'd rather not end up in the
kitchen. The tub is blocked by the vanity - not a big problem, but
also by a radiator (steam heat) that is less than six inches from the
tub and sticks out about 6 inches from the wall. I'd like to recess
the radiator into the wall when this is all done if feasible. If not,
I understand that I can take it to be standblasted and painted with a
high heat aluminum paint. Or I just buy a new radiator.

Ah, the drain from the vanity sink goes into a large solid pipe coming
out around a foot from the wall. That's going to make it tougher to
remove the tub as well.

Maybe first I look into the shower body. That's hiding behind cement
that should be fun to bust up. I'd like to get the tub out, a new one
in, and get the shower part working. I can line the walls with plastic
for the moment. But I don't want to damage the new tub doing the rest
of the stuff.

What's the problem with a window by a shower? I had one in my old
apartment and it was not an issue.

Maybe I should get in a plumber for a consult.

break cast iron tub with sledge hammer or pick into easy to move
pieces.

shower water by window causes big rot problem

definetely get some estimates, plumbers may have a good idea you
havent thought of.

and definetly gut the bathroom