Posted to sci.electronics.repair
NY2LA NY2LA is offline

Default Static When Capturing VHS Tapes

I am encountering static on pre-recorded VHS tapes that I am capturing
into Final Cut Express. The recorded audio usually sounds great. The
static is on top of it. Here are details:

I have two VCR's (VCR/DVD combo units):
1.) Toshiba SD-V296KU purchased in February 2009
2.) JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU purchased in December 2007

I use two methods of capture into Final Cut Express:
1.) Canopus ADVC110 (with my current set up, I am not able to monitor
the audio during the capture process)
2.) Copying to miniDV tape via Canon camcorder, then capturing the
miniDV tape

My Protocol:
Originally, I was capturing the tapes without even viewing them on my
television (an HDTV) first. I've been using the Toshiba SD-V296KU
for capturing since purchasing it in February 2009. I usually use the
Canopus ADVC110, and only resort to copying to miniDV tape when the
Canopus ADVC110 and/or Final Cut Express get hung up on control track
errors (?).

About the VHS tapes:
I have been storing the pre-recorded VHS tapes since the 1980's. They
have not been played very much. In fact, two of the tapes (referred
to as Tape A and Tape B below) with the static problem had never been
played before. I unwrapped the shrink wrap around their boxes in
order to capture them. Between the 1980's and 2001, they were stored
upright in New York City without environmental control (hence were
exposed to typical northeastern U.S.A. humidity.) Since 2001, they've
been stored upright here in Southern California's low humidity
climate.

I've felt the Toshiba SD-V296KU is not the source of the problem for
two reasons:
1.) I used the JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU for capturing before
purchasing the Toshiba SD-V296KU, and experienced similar static
(albeit not on pre-recorded tapes like now.)
2.) Since using the Toshiba SD-V296KU for capturing, the static
problem occurs in only about one out of five of the pre-recorded VHS
tapes, making me think certain tapes are the culprit.

First test:
Tape A produced static when captured with my usual protocol, Toshiba
SD-V296KU and the Canopus ADVC110. I tested my theory that playing
the tapes more than once would reduce the static, thinking perhaps it
is a build up of static electricity that has to be discharged. My
basis for this theory was a couple of occasions when the static seemed
to be less the second time around -- i.e., less when checked on the
HDTV after capturing. I captured Tape A a total of an additional
three times with the Toshiba SD-V296KU, in succession on the same
day. To check carefully, I played the entire second capture in Final
Cut Express' Viewer, and was disappointed because I didn't detect any
improvement over the first capture. However, when I spot checked the
third capture in the Viewer, I was encouraged because the static
really seemed much less severe; it sounded like the minor crackling
sound of a vinyl record played on a turntable. So I was expecting the
fourth capture to be even better. Unfortunately, the static in the
fourth capture was as bad as the first and second captures.

Other tests:
Attempts to isolate variables in order to determine whether only the
tapes are at fault, and/or whether a particular VCR is contributing to
the problem, or something else, has resulted only in confusion.

Tape B produced static when captured with my usual protocol, Toshiba
SD-V296KU and the Canopus ADVC110. I did a test by copying the first
five minutes of Tape B onto a miniDV tape two times, using the same
cord with a 1/8 inch mini plug going into the Canon camcorder, as
follows:
1.) the first time using the Toshiba SD-V296KU. I could hear very bad
static during the transfer on the camcorder's tiny speakers.
2.) the second time using the JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU. I heard
common tape hiss instead, and even the tape hiss decreased when "Hi-
Fi" displayed on the monitor. I did not hear static on the
camcorder's tiny speakers when using the JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU.

However, my further testing has not supported the conclusion that the
Toshiba produces the static and not the JCV. Part of the problem in
reaching any conclusion is that the static will not be exactly the
same even when the same tape is played multiple times, with everything
else being the same.

I connected the Toshiba SD-V296KU to my HDTV, and played the same
section of Tape B. The static seemed barely noticeable.

I connected the JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU to the Canopus ADVC110 and
used it to capture Tape A for the 5th time. The static is very bad at
the beginning. It seems better later in the capture. This is not the
big difference between the VCR's that I thought I experienced when
comparing transfers of Tape B onto miniDV tape.

I captured the complete Tape B with the JVC HRXVC14BU/HR-XVC15SU
connected to the Canopus ADVC110, and it resulted in static as bad as
the capture with the Toshiba SD-V296KU.

Does this reveal anything:
With both Tape A and Tape B captures, static is slightly louder in the
right channel, regardless of which VCR was used during capture. I
looked at the waveforms and peak monitor when playing the captures in
the Final Cut Express Viewer. With Tape A, I checked all five
captures, and although the static was not always the same between
captures, it was always louder in the right channel. It's only
possible to ascertain this difference between the channels where there
is no recorded audio.