Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default UPS batteries

D Yuniskis wrote:
Hi,

I don't have anything other than "gut feel" to resort to
as evidence but it sure *seems* like most UPS designs
EAT batteries!

We rarely have outages here. So, there is no real
draw on the batteries in our UPS's. So, they should just
be on float charges.

Yet, the batteries seem to wear out far too frequently, IMO.

I could possibly understand regular outages cycling the
batteries too deeply. And, chargers too aggressively
replenishing them (after all, a UPS that quits because its
battery wasn't fully recharged earns a bad reputation for
its manufacturer). But, I can't see how even periodic
battery tests (performed by the UPS itself) could be the
problem -- unless there is something wrong with the
approach being used?

Can anyone with firsthand knowledge shed some light on this?
I.e., what *is* the UPS doing to/with the battery when it
is not being used to supply the load?

Here is where I visit when I have battery questions:

http://batteryuniversity.com/

Float voltage is critical for long storage battery life - +/- 0.01V!

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com