Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

"dadiOH" wrote in message
On Dec 7, 11:58 am, "dadiOH" wrote:
krw wrote:
Oh, good grief. Do you always keep your rip blade on your table saw?

Yes, as a matter of fact. That's because 90% of what I do on it is
ripping...that's what table saws were designed for.

That may be what they're best at but hardly all they were designed
for. I suppose yours doesn't have a miter slot either.

Yeah, it has a miter slot. Damned useless when I want to chop of 2' from
an 8' x6"x2" piece of oak.

What you need is a better miter gauge or sled. ;~) I was doing almost that
a couple of weeks ago. 2, 1x6 oak 8' long with 2 more the same size clamped
in front. Basically I had a 2x12. I needed all to be exactly the same
length. I clamped all the pieces together so that they would not slip and
then clamped the group to my miter gauge.
A friend arrived as I was getting ready to make the cut. I told him to not
try this at home. All went well, no excitement and I ended with what I
expected.