Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Which is it, RG59 or RG6?

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 20:49:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 22:51:17 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Part of the extra .5 dB loss is in the cast aluminum 'F' connectors.
I ran Q. A. I ran tests on hundreds of samples to qualify them for our
MSO to purchase the best quality we could find. We bought splitters by
the thousands, and coax by the pallet

Also, eight way splitters are listed at -10 dB, not 10.5.

Agreed. However, I never had much trouble with the aluminium F
connectors. It was the chrome plated zinc castings that drove me
nuts. The RF skin depth at 1GHz was terrible making the connectors
rather lossy. Combined with an aluminum F connector, I had a few
millivolts of electrolysis and noise.

So is there any value in getting gold-plated F connectors (if they
have them) or gold-plated A/B switches (which I know they sell)?

It's the A/B switch I'm particularly curious about because at one
store, that was all they had, and some antenna signals are so weak, I
figured any little thing might help.

Or other gold plated connectors?