Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Radial arm saw versus 12" compund sliding miter saw question.

dadiOH wrote:
J. Clarke wrote:
Leon wrote:
But the stall happens after the blade has climbed up higher on the
cut. That will cause undue stress to something.

Only if the "something" is not properly designed to withstand the
"undue stress".

No one can design anything to withstand every type of "undue stress"
caused by idiots or the ill informed. Look at computers...

Uh, we aren't talking about "every type of undue stress caused by idiots or
the uninformed", we are talking about an obvious kind of stress that any
engineer should expect to be encountered by the saw during normal operation.
They know what motor they put on it, they know how much torque it produces,
they know the moment arm, they know the ramp angle, from that it's easy to
calculate how much stress it's going to put on the arm if it stalls.