Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default First cans now bagels

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 17:08:17 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Buerste wrote:
http://www.chefschoice.com/tips_myth_all.html

"Fact" of Myth #14:
quote
Sparks produced during sharpening mean the knife is being damaged. The
sparks are actually bits of red-hot, overheated metal coming off the
knife. They indicate that the grinding wheel is seriously overheating
the knife-edge, which detempers (weakens) it.
/quote

I don't think that I buy this: just because the torn-off bits are red
hot doesn't mean that the edge is too hot. Annealing ("detemper-ing")
requires a red hot edge. Now the edge is very thin so it *could* get
red hot while just behind it doesn't, but I'm still skeptical.

Harold?

Bob

I liked the "myth" that addressed giving knives as a gift. My wife
enjoys telling everyone that my wedding gift to her was a nice set of
Trident Wusthof kitchen knives. They've cut a few fingers, but not cut
our relationship, at least not in the mere 37+ years since I gave them
to her!

Joe