Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default Use of primitive tools

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 15:09:56 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 1, 6:27*pm, Gerald Miller wrote:
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:26:39 -0500, Joe wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 02:13:15 -0500, Gerald Miller
wrote:

The thing that gets me is the "safety" side cut can opener in the
kitchen drawer. Why is it safer to have a sharp edge of the can
surrounding the contents you are digging at, rather than on the metal
disk you are tossing into the trash; this assumes that you don't make
a habit of licking the lids clean before you toss them.
To my mind, they advertise these because they are made to a lower
standard of accuracy than the old top cut opener.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

The "safety cut" can openers I'm familiar with don't cut anything -
they uncrimp the can top so you just lift it off. They're hard to
find, but I like them better'n anything, including (especially?)
electric openers.

Joe

The ones I'm bitching about take the rolled rim plus the disk off,
leaving a sharp edge on the side of the can; hyper-advertised as being
safer than the one that cuts out a sharp edged disk out, leaving the
rolled edge still attached to the side of the can.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada- Hide quoted text -

Those are the chinese copies of the real thing. There's a patent
involved, so I think the cheapies either cut below the crimp as an
evasion and rely on the poor sucker who bought it, thinking he had the
real thing, not squawking, or it's just terrible QC. The real deal
will neatly cut through the crimp about midway, leaving smooth edges
on both pieces and the lid can be replaced. They also cost 4-5x as
much as the cheapies, probably due to royalties. Somebody clever
could take a cheapie, make a shim to space the cutter up farther on
the crimp and save a few bucks. The shim would have to probably be on
the side of the pinch wheel next to the lid. Just wish the real ones
would last as long as a Swing-away, the hand operated one had the
crank knob bust after about a year of cat food duty.

Stan

I'll have to take a closer look at mine - I don't remember seeing a
blade at all. I think it really just uncrimps the lid, sort of the
reverse of how the can is sealed in the cannery. I used to work in a
vegetable cannery fixing the electronic aspects of their equipment,
but I never paid much attention to how the sealers worked. I was too
busy with the mag detector that rejected the poorly sealed cans (and
way too many good cans, which is why I was busy with them - late 70s).

Joe