Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default OT GPSes and altitude

On Dec 4, 9:00*pm, Tony Hwang wrote:

I don't know about renting but I have a Casio G-shock watch which gives
altitude display. Before initial use, you need to calibrate it. When
I go alpine trekking I use it.

I had (RIP) a ski buddy who was nuts about how many vertical feet he
could get in x time. He had some kind of barometer/recorder. I
measure my skiing in fun/yard sales/injuries.

This is a (used) prototype of the first GPS watch (needs a battery and
a dusting).
http://i48.tinypic.com/2yvmmw8.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2mn0nr.jpg

It'll get you within 100 yards, horizontally, under any conditions
where you have sufficient landmarks to triangulate a position, like,
on top of a mountain.

On top of a mountain, at night, it's still nearly as good as anything
now available.
-----

- gpsman