Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default Air compressor hose size

On Dec 5, 12:59*pm, Ashton Crusher wrote:
I've often wondered how much of the "energy" is getting lost thru
pressure drop in the hose from my air compressor to the tool. *Plus
the thru hole in the fittings is pretty small. *Yet none of the
regular outlets seems to carry any larger diameter hose or fittings. I
think the standard is around 1/4" or maybe 3/8. * It' seems like a
larger hose would make tools that use a fair amount of air work a lot
better. *Has anyone used larger hose and can offer a comparison?

The answer is obvious. Always use 3/8" hose. Only one company makes
high flow fittings for the standard 1/4"NPT outlets on the hose and
that is MIlton. The ordinary box store fittings are M type, the Milton
high flow are the V type. The V type rate of flow is nearly double the
M type and I have been using them for a couple of years now for HVLP
spray guns and general shop use. Auto body supply stores carry Milton
stuff if you don't find it at your local Farm & Fleet.

Joe