Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Which is it, RG59 or RG6?

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 12:03:52 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:24:47 -0800, "Joe Rooney"
wrote:

Keep in mind a 3 way splitter has two 3.5db and one 7 db out.

Wrong. A splitter reduces the output by -3dB which is half the power.
The extra -0.5dB loss is from losses in the bifilar wound xformer. If
two of the ports each have half the input power, there's nothing in
the budget left for the 3rd port.

Googling for a typical 3 way splitter:
http://www.twacomm.com/catalog/model_CT413.htm?sid=1F79205DEA0D1B9FF1BF82ACDC4C33 D2
I find 2 ports with -6.5dB loss and one port with -3.5dB, which makes
more sense. (Actually, it should be -7.0dB loss).

A 3 port looks like a tree. It starts with a two port splitter, where
one output is brought out for -3.5dB loss. The other port goes to yet
another splitter, with again divides the output in half, for -7dB from
each of the two ports.

Aha. That would certainly account for a difference! I'll check
later today. In fact, I'll take out the splitter and connect just
the one giving me trouble.

Except that you said you're using 2 and 4 way splitters, which are far
more common than a 3 way.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D