Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT GPSes and altitude

wrote:
On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 07:39:02 -0500, George

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:00:08 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

mm wrote:
If I had, or borrowed, a GPS, global postioning system, would it also
show my altitude?

Or, is there some moderately priced device that would show altitude to
say the nearest 10 feet? Do they rent them?

Thanks.
Hi,
I don't know about renting but I have a Casio G-shock watch which gives
altitude display. Before initial use, you need to calibrate it. When
I go alpine trekking I use it.
Aneroid (barometric) altimiter - it looses accuracy very quickly when
a storm front comes in. Lots of Ultralite and hang-glider pilots use
them though.

That would only be in low end units. Kollsman was the one who first
devised a method to compensate for changes in barometric pressure from
standard pressure.

Yes, but you can bet the wrist-watch style is NOT a Kollsman, and to
compensate even a Kollsman you need to know ground level, or better
yet, sea level adjusted barometric pressure.

I have seen the both the electronic version and analog version of the
wris****ch style that have Kollsman correction. Barometric pressure is
available from a lot of sources anymore and there are certainly a lot of
places where elevation is known.