Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G. Denis G. is offline

Default Big A**ed chomper

On Dec 5, 9:54*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
I have about six tons of "Windsor Wall" blocks, plus a few tons of pavers I
have to set. *The "Windsor Wall" blocks are about 12" wide, 6" deep and 6"
tall. *There is a lip on one edge so one can stack them, and they form a
receedin taperedg wall. *The pavers are about 6" x 8" x 2".

I need to cut a lot of them, either to make them fit, or cut into halves.

I cut a couple with a diamond blade on a Skil M77 saw, and they did good,
just a ton of dust, and a lot of time. *Plus, blades are $20 per.

I can make a hydraulic press (I'm a welder) that will chomp these between
two blades, but first I would score a line on each side about 1/8" deep. *I
have seen blocks and bricks cut with a wide mason's chisel, and done a few
myself. *It works good if you have a line scored, and make a good solid hit
with a large hammer.

Has anyone had any experience with "chomping" these blocks/pavers between
two sharpened steel edges using massive hydraulic pressure to achieve
cutting force?

Steve

Here's something similar to what you describe: http://www.blockshear.com/
, but I've no experience using one.