Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default connecting smaller stranded wire to heavier solid wire?

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 07:40:57 -0800, "james" wrote:

I bought a motion sensing porch light with stranded wires coming out.

When I tried to connect it to the solid wire with twist on connectors (2
solid wires + 1 stranded), one stranded wire slipped out after a slight tug.
The stranded wires is of a smaller guage.

I thought about making the leads on the stranded wire longer and wrap it
around the two solid wires first.

Longer sounds good to me. Clockwise.

But the strands being so thin, might be
cut by twisiting the connector on it.

LIke Colby says, twist the thin strands together first.

In the end, I removed the porch light, twisted each stranded wire all by
itself, and put solder on it. This essentially turned the strands into a
solid wire. Then I twisted it on with the solid wires.

Is this the correct solution?

That also sounds good to me. Although too much solder can make the
stranded wires stiffer than the heavy wire.

And good wire nuts have a metal coil inside. Some don't have that and
they often don't screw on as well.