Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default connecting smaller stranded wire to heavier solid wire?

"james" wrote in message ...
I bought a motion sensing porch light with stranded wires coming out.

When I tried to connect it to the solid wire with twist on connectors (2
solid wires + 1 stranded), one stranded wire slipped out after a slight
tug. The stranded wires is of a smaller guage.

I thought about making the leads on the stranded wire longer and wrap it
around the two solid wires first. But the strands being so thin, might be
cut by twisiting the connector on it.

In the end, I removed the porch light, twisted each stranded wire all by
itself, and put solder on it. This essentially turned the strands into a
solid wire. Then I twisted it on with the solid wires.

Is this the correct solution?

If it worked it is okay.

I usually strip about 1" of each stranded and pre-twist them together
according to color. I strip 1/2" or so from the solid. It needs to be
straight so sometimes you have to trim it and start fresh.

Then using the proper size compression nut, not the provided ones, I hold
the wires so that the stranded ones are about 1/2" longer than the solid
one.

One 12 or 14 and up to 3 16s connect using a yellow wirenut, not the big red
one or those dismal things they ship with the lights.

Once secured I have never experienced a problem.

You mileage may vary.

--
Colbyt