Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Use of primitive tools

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 08:53:32 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:56:33 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:12:25 GMT,
(PinstripeSniper) wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Yeah, how many men (or women) here have received a new knife and
haven't tried every single blade on it to get a feel for it? I always
did the very day, if not hour, that I received/bought one.

I will confess to having difficulty remembering what needs to be
flipped open/out on my multitools. (Leatherman) Anybody seen that
super deluxe Swiss knife that is about 2 inches thick with all the
stuff?

Why not just go for the Mac Tools, or Snap on truck. Every time I
bought a multi purpose tool, it proved to do nothing well.

I was talking about receiving knives as a kid. We all wanted the super
duper Swiss job but soon found out that they were hard as hell to use
with all that other crap in the way. My current pocket knife is the
mini Swiss, with a single blade, screwdriver/nailfile, scissors,
toothpick, and tweezers. $10 at Target. Since I keep a 600 grit
diamond paddle in the truck and a 600 grit 2x6" diamond plate at home,
it's always sharp in under a minute after I've used it for awhile.

My Leatherman is extremely hard to open, so I keep it in the truck
where I have other tools to use to pry the damned thing open.
It didn't prove nearly as invaluable to me as I had imagined. Kinda
like the Swiss Army knife experience I had 30 years earlier.

I'm surprise I didn't get any feedback whatsoever about using all the
blades on the knife the day you got it. Was I alone in doing that?
I'd find that extremely hard to believe. We're a curious lot here and
-not- doing that would seem to go against the grain. shrug

Pick up a Gerber..its a far superior multi-tool

Dont get the needle nosed one..get the plyers nosed one.

Works great!

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate
homophobe approaches infinity.